Sinus infection is called as acute sinusitis which occurs when the nasal cavities are swollen and inflamed and pain in the ear is caused by buildup of pressure. Sinusitis can be caused by common cold and allergies and but it can be caused by some underlying conditions.
Sinus infection can be caused by irritants found in the environment, bacteria and viruses that are trapped in the natural mucous.
Symptoms of sinus infections
- Facial pain
- Runny nose
- Postnasal drip
- Dental pain
- Halitosis or bad breath
- Tired eyes
- Fever and fatigue
- Difficulty in breathing
Treatment and home remedies of ear pain from sinus infections
- Use nasal spray several times every day or place a warm, moist facecloth around the face, nose, eyes and cheeks to help relieve the sinus pressure and pain.
- Using humidifiers helps in keeping the sinuses from becoming dry. The individual can sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running for 15 minutes since it helps in minimizing sinus pain.
- Take the prescribed over-the-counter pain medications such as Aleve, Tylenol and ibuprofen in order to help minimize the earache caused by sinus infection.
- Take the prescribed over-the-counter decongestant tablets or nasal sprays in other to help with sinus blockage. Avoid using nasal sprays for more than 3 days in order to make the condition worse.
- Avoid being exposed to severe temperatures such as jogging on a hot day and playing in snow since these can make the condition worse.
- Blow the nose gently and block one nostril while blowing through the other.
- Drink plenty of liquids in the evening since being hydrated help in making the mucus thin out as well as helps in draining and minimizing the nighttime stuffiness.
- Avoid engaging in activities that involves fast movements. The individual should not stand too quickly or shaking the head very fast.
- Avoid salt, caffeine, alcohol and any tobacco products since it affects circulation of the blood. Any changes in the flow of blood can affect the ears.
- Avoid traveling by plane if suffering from sinus infections especially if it affects the ears.
- Using spearmint which is an ingredient found in herbal nasal sprays can temporarily minimize the symptoms of inflamed sinus passages. Spearmint is also used in treating the symptoms of migraines, headaches and sinusitis.
- When sleeping at night or resting during day time, elevate the head or prop up a couple of pillows so that the head is raised and helps in the proper drainage of the sinuses and minimize the congestion.
If there is fever, pain in the ears, head and face are swelling and does not heal with the treatment and the symptoms that last for more than a week or recurs, it is best to seek medical help immediately.
Tips in preventing ear pain caused by sinus infection
Avoid environmental irritants and maintain a healthy immune system in order to help prevent sinusitis and rinse the nasal passages and the sinuses using saline to prevent infection from developing.