Chest congestion is an infection in the respiratory system which causes inflammation of the lower tract of the respiratory system which eventually causes difficulty in breathing. This is followed by pain in the chest and some discomfort. Chest congestion involves the buildup of excess mucus and fluid in the lungs. When breathing, we can inhale particles such as dust, allergens, viruses and bacteria that are trapped by mucus which covers the mucus membranes. This mucus spreads to the throat where it is either swallowed or coughed out and the excess mucus can cause chest congestion.
Causes of chest congestion
- Infections of the respiratory tract
- Common cold
- Viral infection
- Heart diseases
- Airborne allergies
- Excess deposition of fluids in the lungs
Symptoms of chest congestion
- Coughing and pain in the chest
- Shortness of breath and a tightened chest
- Phlegm in the lungs
- Swelling and discolored lips
- Runny nose
- Pain in the throat and presence of blood when coughing
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Loud noise while breathing
- Thickened tongue
Treatment and home remedies for chest congestion
- Gargling using saline water helps in eliminating mucus found in the respiratory tract. Boil a glass of water and add 1-2 tablespoons of salt in it. Stir it well and add a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Gargle the solution at least for 1 to 2 minutes for 4-5 times every day in order to help relax the affected area.
- To loosen mucus in the airways, inhale steam can help clear up the congestion of the chest. Boil water in a large bowl. Instruct the individual to bend over the bowl then cover the head with a clean cloth or towel. The individual should inhale the vapors that come out of the hot water. A few drops of essential oils such as peppermint or eucalyptus oil can also be added to the boiling water since these helps in loosening the hardened phlegm. A humidifier or nebulizer machine can also be used to inhale steam.
- Take a bath using warm water since it helps loosen mucus that is trapped in the throat and lungs. Drinking war water also helps in treating chest congestion fast.
- Prepare a warm pack by roasting some cloves and carom seeds for 2-3 minutes and place them in a thin piece of cloth and pack them together. Place this pack on the affected throat and chest for a few seconds to help relieve the chest congestion.
- Using ginger is good for chest congestion. All you have to do is boil a cup of water and add a piece of ginger and 2-3 black pepper then strain it in a glass. Stir and add a tablespoon of honey. Drink the solution at least twice or thrice every day in order to help with the chest congestion and cough.