Adenoids are mass of tissue together with the tonsils that keeps the body healthy by trapping harmful germs passing through the nose or mouth. The adenoids also produce antibodies that help the body fight infections. The adenoids become smaller when the age of the child is 5 or 6 and eventually disappears by the teen years.
The adenoids can become infected where they are inflamed and swollen which is called adenoiditis. This condition is usually common among children.
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Breathing through the mouth
- Glands found in the neck are swollen
- There is ear pain and other problems with the ears
- Speaking with a nasal sound or speaking with a nose that is pinched
- Snoring or sleep apnea which is a condition where the person stops breathing for a short period of time during sleeping
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Adenoiditis can be caused allergies
- A disorder of the immune system or hypergammaglobulinemia
- Take a long hot water shower in order to help relieve and lessen the symptoms of the swollen adenoids. Soak the affected child in a tub filled with warm water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Keep the child well hydrated to help promote fast healing of adenoiditis. Make the child sip broth, fruit juices and milk throughout the day. Sipping cold and frozen liquids makes the throat numb and helps lessen the pain.
- In a glass of warm water, add a teaspoon of honey and 2-3 drops of fresh lemon juice. Mix them well and let the child drink the solution. Take note that this solution helps relieve the discomfort caused by the swollen glands.
- With a glass of warm milk, add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix them well. Let the child drink this mixture before he/she goes to bed. Milk has a relaxing effect on the affected area and turmeric function as an antiseptic.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and then let the child gargle this solution. This helps in minimizing the swelling and lessens the risk for infections.
- Give the child 1-2 cloves of smashed garlic. This works by reducing the inflammation and infection in the adenoids. Garlic possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties are beneficial to the condition.
- With a teaspoon of honey, mix it with few drops of lemon juice and give to the child by mouth at least 2-3 times every day. Honey helps lessen the swelling, pain and soreness caused by adenoiditis.
- Encourage the child to consume warm beverages such as warm tea mixed with honey, clear soup or broth to lessen the swelling of the area.
- Take cod liver oil supplement since this helps in minimizing the infection and inflammation. Give cod liver oil supplement in liquid form for children.