Sore nipples can be experienced by women during their reproductive cycle and it is a symptom of pregnancy. Sore breast can be an indication of many things such as changes that takes place in the body of a woman. Sometimes sore nipples can be caused by injuries or external factors.
Women who are breastfeeding can cause sore nipples, exposure to chemical or using harsh laundry soap can cause a tingling, tenderness and soreness of the breast. Soreness of the breast can be experienced after undergoing treatment for a specific medication and it also an indication of some underlying health condition such as breast cancer.
Common symptoms of a sore nipple
- Heaviness in the breasts
- Tenderness and severe pain
- Itchiness and swelling in the nipple
- Formation of cracks found around the nipples
- Development of lumps or bumps found around the areola
- Discharge coming from the nipple like pus or milk
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Frequent or severe headaches
- Hot flashes
- Sleepiness and severe mood swings
- Gain in weight or bloating in the abdomen
Factors that cause sore nipples
- Postmenstrual syndrome (PMS) where the dominance of estrogen causes hormonal imbalances in the body and can cause sore nipples among women.
- Pregnant women experiences itchiness and soreness of the breast during the first stages of pregnancy.
- During pre-menopause and menopause women can experience soreness of breast
- Oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapy and some medications such as antidepressants can cause soreness of breast.
- Diseases of the heart that causes pain and discomfort can also be felt on the area found around the breast.
- Large breasted women are also susceptible to soreness of the nipple because of the pressure and weight placed on them
- Fungal infections of the skin can cause soreness of the nipple.
- Using products such as body wash, soap and laundry detergent that contains plenty of chemicals can cause irritation of skin found around the nipples that can cause soreness.
- Incorrect sucking of babies of the nipples
Treatment and home remedies of sore nipples
- Apply a cold compress on the nipples in order to help lessen the swelling and other symptoms. Wrap a few ice cubes in a towel and apply this over the affected nipples for at least 10 minutes.
- Wear a bra that fits well and gives an adequate amount of support for the breast. Wear a proper bra, especially when performing any physical activity. Remove the bra at night before going to bed or at bedtime.
- Change bras regularly and wash them thoroughly before wearing them. Avoid using laundry soap that contains chemical, instead use mild and a good laundry detergent. Harsh chemical causes irritation of the skin found around the nipples and breast and cause a sore nipples.
- Avoid being stressed it increases soreness of the nipples and breast, perform relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga and deep breathing or a massage therapy since it helps with the condition.
- Clean the nipples and keep it dry all the time. Make sure that the areas around the breast and the nipples should be wiped thoroughly after shower.