Renal colic is a pain that radiates from the loin to the groin and caused by renal diseases such as kidney stones, renal papillary necrosis or pyelonephritis. Kidney stones are tiny crystals that develop when a chemical is concentrated in the urine and once these crystals travels down the urinary tract, they will cause severe pain which is known as renal colic.
Renal colic caused by kidney stones occurs suddenly in which severe pain can be felt in the back, side and even spreads to the groin area. The urine is dark in color and sometimes there is blood present in the urine. In most cases, there is fever, chills and vomiting. Renal colic can be treated with analgesics and the pain subsides, treatment will focus on the cause that started it in the first place.
Causes of renal colic
- Renal colic can be caused by kidney stones which blocks the flow of urine from the kidney and cause swelling of the kidney that triggers pain.
- Pus in the urine which is also known as pyelonephritis can also cause renal colic and the pain is usually dull and constant.
- Renal papillary necrosis is an acute obstruction caused by sloughing of the papilla and it is usually common among women.
Symptoms of renal colic
- Severe pain in the back that is felt in the renal angle. If the stone is motionless, there is no pain, but if the stone spreads down to the tract, the pain will radiate in the lower abdomen and in the pelvis that is described as persistent and constant. The urine is dark in color and there may be blood present in the urine which gives its distinctive reddish color. In addition, there is also nausea and vomiting.
- Elevated body temperature that is accompanied by rigors
- A burning sensation when urinating and there is a presence of pus in the urine
Treatment and home remedies for renal colic
- Provide the individual with an analgesic in order to minimize pain
- Apply a hot water bag over the affected area in order to provide relief to the renal pain.
- Another way in order to reduce the intensity of renal colic is by beating the yellow yolk of two eggs and then sprinkle a pinch of salt and apply the mixture on the area that is sore.
- Encourage the individual to drink tomato juice with cumin seeds since it is also helpful among those who are suffering from renal colic.
- Drink cranberry juice at least twice a day to help dissolve the kidney stones as well as helping minimize the burning pain during urination. In addition, it is important to drink plenty of fluids especially those who have kidney stones.
- Minimize the consumption of milk and dairy products since they contain calcium. This is vital for those who have renal stones.
If you want to learn more about pain management measures for this condition, all you have to do is register for first aid training today.