Drinking alcohol affects the body in behavioral and physiological ways. Drinking alcohol until intoxication can eventually lead to a hangover. Hangover usually have symptoms of headaches, vomiting, nausea and sensitivity to light and sounds, exhaustion as well as dizziness that can last for 24 hours until alcohol in the body is minimized. A hangover can be mild discomfort for a few hours to frequent bouts that can cause long term effect in the metabolism of body on alcohol.
- Pain in the stomach and inflammation of the lining of the stomach
- Headache and pain in the muscle
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Depression and mood swings
- Weakness and fatigue
- High pulse rate and tremors
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe dehydration and thirst
- Low blood sugar levels
- Irritability and anxiety
- Excessive urination
- High blood pressure
- Memory lapse
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Drinking excessive alcohol
- Drinking alcohol on an empty stomach
- Being dehydrated and drinking alcohol can cause a severe hangover
- Not feeling well and drinking alcohol can also cause hangover
- Effects of alcohol on the gastrointestinal system which inflames the lining of the stomach will cause a fatty diseased liver.
- Eat a meal of eggs in the morning after drinking alcohol. The cysteine found in eggs helps break down the alcohol in the body and minimize toxicity. Banana can also be added to the egg which is rich in potassium content and helps replace electrolytes that were lost and aids in the prevention of dehydration.
- Apply a cold compress to the head and face to help in relieving headaches and dizziness.
- Drink a cup of strong coffee and mix it with lemon juice without adding sugar. Coffee helps to lessen headaches caused by a hangover.
- Consume a tablespoon of honey since this helps lessen the symptoms of a hangover.
- Boil crushed thyme leaves, strain the infusion and drink the tea while still warm to lessen the nausea.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water helps in replacing lost electrolytes caused by alcohol intoxication.
- Nibble on candies such as ginger snaps to lessen feelings of nausea and vomiting.
- Make an easy to digest smoothie mixed with fruit juice and banana. This helps maintain blood sugar level stability and helps minimize mood swings and fatigue.
- Consume small meals that are light on an empty stomach when there is hangover.
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of soda bicarbonate in ½ glass of water. Drink this solution to help lessen symptoms and for fast healing of a hangover. Apple cider vinegar helps balance the pH levels in the body, minimize toxicity and protection of the liver from further damage.