Cellulitis is a bacterial infection that affects the skin, usually the lower legs but can also develops in other parts of the body such as the face. Both children and the elderly are prone to this condition. It is a diffusive infection that affects the connective tissue. It is not a serious condition but if there is an underlying condition, it can cause severe complications. Cellulitis can be caused by two forms of bacteria such as streptococcus and staphylococcus. A simple cut, scratch and some abrasions or an insect bite can trigger the development of cellulitis. Certain conditions that cause cellulitis include the following:
- Bacteria and some microorganisms that enter the skin through an open wound and not properly treated can progress to cellulitis.
- A recent surgery can make the condition worse and puts the individual at high risk for developing cellulitis.
- Pruritic skin rash
- Prolonged immobility of an extremity can cause cellulitis which is common among individuals who are paralyzed or cannot move around properly. When the skin comes in contact with a foreign body, it will cause irritation and formation of blisters will cause complications and result to cellulitis if not treated properly.
Treatment and home remedies for cellulites of the lower leg
- Eat foods that are rich in protein and high in Vitamin C content. Foods that are rich in protein facilitate the tissue repair process. Vitamin C helps in boosting the immune system and makes the body less susceptible to infections such as strawberries, tomatoes as well as sweet potatoes and citrus.
- Avoid eating foods that are high in sugar content since it can cause the delay of the healing process.
- Massage the affected area in order to increase circulation.
- Eat an eight-ounce serving of yogurt since it helps in the production of antibodies and natural killer cells which are needed by the body in rejecting viral and bacterial host cells.
- Slice three cloves of garlic into three small slivers. The individual should eat three cloves of garlic every day along with an eight ounce glass of water. Garlic possesses antibacterial ingredients which help in minimizing the symptoms of cellulitis.
- Drink eight glasses of eight ounces of water every day since it is needed for the proper functioning of the body and also helps the body flush away viral and bacterial cells that trigger the development of infections.
Using the goldenseal herbal treatment
- First, clean the affected area using antibacterial soap in order to eliminate the transfer of bacteria from the body to the wound in order to avoid infection. Make sure that you will dry the area using a towel.
- Dip 1-3 cotton balls in the liquid goldenseal and dab it lightly over the affected area, do not rub. Continue dabbing until the glossy coat of goldenseal can be seen. Goldenseal possesses an active ingredient known as alkaloids which has antibacterial properties that helps in reducing inflammation and helps boosts the immune system by increasing the production of properdin proteins that transfer the white blood cells to areas infested with bacteria. Apply goldenseal to the affected area at least once every day and change the bandage every day in order to avoid further infections.