Indigestion or dyspepsia is a condition caused by an issue in the secretion of the digestive juices in the stomach. In most circumstances, indigestion happens after eating spicy or fatty food or even overeating. It can become severe if the individual has gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), being stressed out or anxious, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, stomach infection, obesity, thyroid disease, smoking and using certain medications.
Symptoms of indigestion
- Growling stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Burning sensation felt in the upper abdomen
- Acidic taste
Causes of indigestion and bloated stomach
- Excessive intestinal gas can be caused to inadequate digestion of protein. Proteins require stomach acid in order to be broken down properly and if the intestinal tract is too alkaline, proteins cannot break down properly. As a result, it will ferment and decay and cause bloating of stomach and produce excess gas after the individual has eaten.
- Inability of the body to digest complex sugar compounds. This undigested compound reaches the intestines and eventually starts to ferment and release gas.
- Bacteria that are left untreated can develop a bacterial imbalance that causes belching, bloating of stomach and excessive gas. It is necessary to include foods in the diet that helps encourage the growth of the “good” probiotic bacteria in the bowels in order to help minimize gas and bloating.
- The gallbladder that becomes clogged with stones or the bile that has become thick and slow-moving can cause bloating 5-20 minutes eating.
Treatment and home remedies of bloated stomach and gas
- Follow a consistent pattern of eating and meal timings. Avoid having a huge interval between two meals since it will cause excessive formation of gas. Eat something every 3 hours such as dry fruits, nuts, toast, sandwich or juice.
- Avoid eating very large meals. It is recommended to stick with small frequent meals.
- Avoid eating too foods such as legumes, sprouts and lentils. It is vital to eat them occasionally and only in smaller amounts since they can ferment in the bowels.
- At every end of meal, eat 3 tablespoons of fennel seeds since these helps in minimizing flatulence and gaseousness in a minute and then follow it with 3 tablespoons of caraway seeds to help with the flatulence.
- Take an inch of grated ginger together with a spoonful of honey after eating lunch and dinner since this helps in minimizing any discomfort caused by bloating. This also helps in wind elimination and promotes good digestion.
- Stir ½ teaspoon of baking soda into a half a glass of water. Drink this solution since it helps in neutralizing the acid in the stomach and provides relief from stomach bloating.
- Drink herbal tea after eating a heavy meal since it helps in minimizing indigestion. Peppermint and chamomile tea helps in relaxing the stomach and lessen issues with digestion.